Located on the rolling hills of the Corcoran Farm, the hospital was built in a "V" pavilion style. A few wooden barracks and a brick farm house were incorporated into the hospital arrangements. The hospital consisted of nine wards, with 63 beds each, for a total of 945 beds. To these were added hospital tents, each of which held six beds. At one point, 312 hospital tents were in use on the site, with a capacity of 1,872 beds. In the bed census of Dec. 17, 1864, the hospital had 2,080 beds, with 1207 occupied, under the direction of Surgeon R. A. Bontecon, U.S.V.