Title: Hodgkins, W. S.

Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. (1861-65.), Part 3, Volume 2 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1883), 622.

Keywords:wounds and injuries of the lower extremitieswounds and operations in the footshot wounds of the bones of the footshot fractures of the bones of the footshot fractures of the bones of the foot treated by conservationgunshot wound of footfractured first metatarsal boneerysipelas and gangreneirritative fever produced by unhealthy wound

Civil War Washington ID: med.d2e24041

TEI/XML: med.d2e24041.xml

CASE 907.—Shot fracture of first metatarsal bone; death.—Private W. S. Hodgkins, Co. A, 14th New York Artillery, aged 27 years, was wounded at Spottsylvania​, May 10, 1864, and entered Emory Hospital, Washington, two weeks afterwards. Surgeon N. R. Moseley, U. S. V., reported: "The patient was received with gunshot wound of left foot, fracturing the first metatarsal bone. Cold-water dressings were applied to the wound and alteratives were given internally. This treatment was continued for some weeks, the wound doing well, although the patient's constitutional health was very poor. On June 29th stimulants with alteratives were ordered, and warm applications were made to the wound, which appeared to be obstinate in healing. On July 20th simple cerate dressings were commenced, the wound appearing healthy in some parts, though peculiarly unhealthy around the edges; internal treatment continued. One month later the wound was erysipelatous in appearance and warm poultices were again applied; patient's appetite still good. By September 9th erysipelas and gangrene had invaded the wound and creasote was added to the poultice; stimulants given internally. In about ten days cold-water dressings were resumed, gangrene having disappeared, but the parts still being unhealthy. On September 27th the patient was attacked with chills followed by high fever, when antiperiodics and tonics were prescribed and warm applications were again used. Several days afterwards the patient began to sink rapidly. He died October 3, 1864, from the effects of irritative fever produced by the unhealthy wound."