Title: Baird, Matthew

Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, Volume 1 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1888), 248-249.

Keywords:clinical recordsthe continued feverstypho-malarial and typhoid feversSeminary Hospital casescase-books of Seminary Hospital, D. C.typhoid fevertyphoid but malarial element prominent

Civil War Washington ID: med.d1e4835

TEI/XML: med.d1e4835.xml

CASE 121.—Malarial symptoms prominent; the presence of enteric fever not clearly established.—Private Matthew Baird, Co. C, 3d Mich. Vols.; age 23; was admitted Oct. 19, 1861, as a case of typhoid fever. About October 5 he had been seized with pain in the head and bones, fever and chills; he had some nausea and vomiting at first, and a diarrhœa which continued for two days; the headache lasted four days; during the second week his urine had to be removed by catheter. On admission his pulse was 62 and of fair strength, skin soft and warm, tongue pale, moist and slightly coated brownish in the centre, appetite good; he had tinnitus aurium and giddiness, but no pain, eruption nor sudamina; one thin watery stool was passed, but there was no tenderness, borborygmus nor tympanites, and the abdomen was soft; there was no cough and the urine was normal. Quinine was prescribed in full doses three times daily. Next day the face was calm and natural, the pulse 64, steady and of fair strength, the skin soft and warm, the tongue slightly pale and flabby but moist and clean, the appetite good; one thin fetid stool was passed. On the 22d the quinine was reduced to two grains three times daily, and during the night the patient had a chill, but next day its effects disappeared. On the 28th he rested badly and had some diarrhœa, but there was no tenderness nor tympanites; the tongue was pale and moist and the appetite fair. The skin and conjunctivæ became jaundiced on the 31st. Small doses of calomel and opium were given. November 1 he slept well; his mind was clear, countenance calm, bowels regular and appetite good. He was transferred to Annapolis, Md., on the 18th.