Title: Morgan, J. B.

Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, Volume 1 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1888), 234.

Keywords:clinical recordscontinued feversevidence of malarial affectiontyphoid fevertypho-malarial and typhoid feversdizzinessrose-colored spotsvibicesepistaxispain in back, limbs, shoulder and chestbowels tender and tympaniticpain in micturitionSeminary Hospital cases

Civil War Washington ID: med.d1e3537

TEI/XML: med.d1e3537.xml

CASE 73.—Dizziness and slight headache; diarrhœal tendency not marked; rose-colored spots on the 10th, 19th and 30th days, and vibices on 19th.—Corporal J. B. Morgan, Co. E, 1st Pa. Rifles; age 24; was healthy until about Oct. 1, 1861, when he had chills, fever and profuse sweating, with pain in the head, dizziness, epistaxis, pain in back, limbs, shoulder and chest, some cough, diarrhœa and retention of urine. He was admitted October 10 as a case of typhoid fever. The pulse on admission was 90 and quick; the skin hot and dry, exhibiting a profuse eruption; the tongue was slightly moist, red and clean; the appetite poor; the bowels unmoved but somewhat tender and tympanitic; the patient had slight headache, cough and pain in micturition. Wine and cinchona bark were ordered. The eruption faded, but no other change took place until the 13th, when the tongue became dry. One ounce of Epsom salt was given. Three stools were passed on each of the two following days, and the tenderness became more marked in the right iliac region; otherwise there was no change. The Epsom salt was repeated on the 16th. Three stools were passed on the 17th and one on the 18th. Vibices appeared on the chest and rose-spots on the abdomen on the 19th. A few more rose-spots were detected on the 30th. During this period the skin was generally of the natural temperature, the tongue moist, red and clean and the appetite good. On November 1 the patient was transferred to Annapolis, Md., where his case was entered as one of debility, and whence he was returned to duty on December 2.