Title: Martin, Peter

Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, Volume 1 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1888), 234.

Keywords:clinical recordscontinued feversevidence of malarial affectiontyphoid fevertypho-malarial and typhoid feverscerebral manifestations slightrose-spotsdiarrhœafree nocturnal perspirationspain in the head, back and limbsanorexiaSeminary Hospital cases

Civil War Washington ID: med.d1e3513

TEI/XML: med.d1e3513.xml

CASE 72.—Cerebral manifestations slight; rose-spots on the 8th day with successive crops to 22d day; diarrhœa ceasing on occurrence of free nocturnal perspirations on 17th day.—Private Peter Martin, Co. B, 3d Vt. Vols.; age 18; was seized Sept. 28, 1861, with chills, fever and pain in the head, back and limbs, for which he was admitted October 3. His pulse was 85, full and strong; skin natural; tongue moist and furred yellowish. He was somewhat dull and had pain in the head, anorexia and relaxed meteorized bowels. Blue-pill was given with opium every two hours. Rose-colored spots appeared on the chest and abdomen on the 5th, and on the 7th were very profuse. The tongue, from being covered with a thick yellow fur, became red at the tip and margins, remaining coated on the dorsum. The diarrhœa caused three or four stools daily, and was accompanied by tympanites and right iliac, umbilical and, indeed, general abdominal tenderness. Sixteen grains of quinine were given on the forenoon of the 7th. The headache, anorexia and other symptoms as stated continued until the 14th, when, after a free perspiration during the night, the pulse fell to 66, the bowels became quiet and the appetite returned; the tongue, however, remained coated heavily with a moist yellow fur at the base and centre. A small dose of blue-pill was given on the 16th, but the fur was not removed until the 23d. Rose-spots appeared on the 16th and again on the 19th. Nocturnal perspirations were recorded on the 17th and 19th. Some cough occurred during the progress of the case. The patient was returned to duty on the 28th.