Title: Foster, J. M.

Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, Volume 1 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1888), 232.

Keywords:clinical recordscontinued feversevidence of malarial affectiontyphoid fevertypho-malarial and typhoid feverschill and remitting feverrose-spotssordesiliac tendernessanorexiabowels loose, tympanitic, tender and gurgling on pressureSeminary Hospital casesmeasles

Civil War Washington ID: med.d1e3351

TEI/XML: med.d1e3351.xml

CASE 66.—Chill and remitting fever; rose-spots on 12th day; drowsiness; sordes; cough; diarrhœa and iliac tenderness; record unfinished.—Private J. M. Foster, Co. A, 6th Wis. Vols.; age 21; was admitted Nov. 1, 1861, as a case of typhoid fever. Late in September he had measles, and on October 24 was taken with a chill followed by fever, weakness, anorexia, pain in the back and bones, nausea, vomiting and diarrhœa, which continued up to the date of his admission. He said he felt better about noontime daily. On November 2 he was dull, his eyes slightly suffused, pulse 112, quick and of fair strength, skin soft and moist, tongue soft, coated in the centre and at the tip, teeth covered with sordes; he had anorexia, much thirst and a diarrhœa of four stools daily, with some abdominal tenderness and some cough. Quinine in five-grain doses was given three times daily. Next day his condition was unchanged but on the 4th the pulse became reduced to 100 and lost its quickness and strength, the skin was hot and covered with minute rose-colored spots, the tongue moist and brown, eyes injected and the respiration labored. The patient continued dull and drowsy on the 6th, and the diarrhœa persisted, with some tenderness in both iliac regions; but the tongue appeared cleaner at the edges and the respiration was natural. On the 7th the pulse was 108 and weak, the skin dry, husky and covered with rose-colored spots, the tongue dry and brown, the gums and teeth blackened, the bowels loose, tympanitic, tender and gurgling on pressure. The record leaves the patient in this condition on the 8th, and closes with the remark that he was transferred to Philadelphia, Pa., Feb. 15, 1862.