CASE.—Private George W. Eastlick, Co. C., 29th Ohio Volunteers, aged 30 years, was wounded at the battle of Port Republic, Virginia, June 9th, 1862, by a conoidal ball, which fractured and depressed the cranium at the left parietal eminence. He was rendered insensible by the blow, and remained in that state for about four hours, when he recovered sufficiently to leave the field. The ball, which had fractured both tables of the skull and split upon the sharp edge of the outer table for two-thirds of its length, was readily removed on the field. On June 15th, he was admitted into Cliffburne Hospital, Washington. His general condition was good, but there was considerable mental confusion, loss of memory, marked deficiency in the strength and sensibility of the right arm, slight but persistent and daily increasing contraction of the fingers. The wound looked healthy and was granulating. Absolute quiet was enjoined, and laxation and light diet ordered; but the unfavorable symptoms evidently increased. On June 23d, ether was administered, and Assistant Surgeon John S. Billings, U. S. A., made a crucial​ incision over the seat of injury, cut away a small portion of the sound bone with the bone-gouge forceps; then introduced the elevator into the opening, and removed the depressed portions of bone, comprising a circle of about three-fourths of an inch in diameter. Half an hour after the operation it was found that sensibility had returned to the right arm, and that the right hand, which had previously been powerless, had recovered its strength. No untoward symptoms supervened, and the wound, which was kept open for two weeks to permit the free escape of pus, healed rapidly. On July 9th, while holding a candle and assisting in dressing a patient, he was suddenly seized with vertigo, and was immediately compelled to lie down. A full saline cathartic was given, and low diet ordered. No further cerebral symptoms occurred, and by the 20th he was perfectly convalescent. He was discharged August 5th, 1862. The case is reported by Assistant Surgeon J. S. Billings, U. S. A. In September, 1867, Pension Examiner John F. Ray reports that the vision in the left eye is impaired and intolerant of light. His disability is rated two-thirds and permanent.