Title: Gardiner, W. K.
Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. (1861-65.), Part 2, Volume 2 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1876), 937.
Civil War Washington ID: med.d2e30798
CASE 1893.—Private W. K. Gardiner, Co. D, 43d New York, age 42 years, was wounded at the Wilderness, May 6, 1864, and entered Finley Hospital, Washington, on May 17th. Surgeon G. L. Pancoast, U. S. V., reported: "Gunshot wound of left upper extremity." On July 14th the patient was admitted to Ira Harris Hospital, Albany, whence Assistant Surgeon J. H. Armsby, U. S. V., contributed a cast of the injured limb (FIG. 684), with the following description of the wound: "Gunshot fracture of left radius by minié ball. Exsection of portion of the radius was performed on the day of the injury, chloroform being administered; patient in good constitutional condition at the time of operation." The cast was made six months after the date of the operation, and shows a broad oblique cicatrix extending over the dorsal surface, the line at the point of the injury being depressed and union probably not having occurred. The patient was mustered out of service June 16, 1865, and pensioned. Examiner W. H. Craig, of Albany, April 12, 1869, certified: "Ball passed through left forearm near the middle, causing a compound fracture of the radius. The bone is crooked and distorted, causing numbness, weakness, and impaired use of arm and hand." The Albany Board, consisting of Drs. Craig, C. H. Porter, and W. H. Bailey, reported, December 2, 1874: " * * Several pieces of bone were removed, causing some deformity of the arm. Three cicatrices remain which are tender. The rotary motion of the arm and hand are weakened." The same Board again reported, January 5, 1876: " * * The bone was shattered and portions were removed. The cicatrices are tender and the arm is greatly weakened. Within the last six months there has been an ulcer near the wound of exit, owing to the presence of necrosed bone," etc. The pensioner was paid September 4, 1875.