Title: Judd, J. H.
Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. (1861-65.), Part 3, Volume 2 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1883), 215.
Civil War Washington ID: med.d2e10282
CASE 429.—Private J. H. Judd, Co. C, 86th New York, aged 18 years, was wounded in the right thigh, before Petersburg, September 11, 1864. He was admitted to the field hospital of the 3d division, Second Corps, whence Surgeon J. S. Jameson, 86th New York, described the injury as "a compound fracture of the femur at the middle third, caused by a musket ball," and reported that he "amputated the limb at the upper third." The patient was subsequently transferred to City Point, and three weeks after the date of the operation he was moved to hospital at Alexandria, whence Surgeon E. Bentley, U. S. V., described the amputation as an "antero-posterior flap operation." The patient was ultimately transferred to Judiciary Square Hospital, Washington, and discharged from service January 13, 1865, and pensioned. Previous to leaving the hospital he was supplied with an artificial limb by the Jewett Patent Leg Company, of Washington, D. C. In his application for commutation, dated 1870, the pensioner represented the stump as being in a sound condition, but reported the artificial leg as having been unsatisfactory. Examiner F. R. Wagner, of Addison, N. Y., April 15, 1874, certified to "amputation about two inches below the trochanter minor, leaving the stump so short that an artificial limb cannot be worn." The pensioner was paid June 4, 1879. The specimen, No. 410, Army Medical Museum, consists of the middle third of the shaft of the injured femur. It was contributed by the operator.