Quartermaster's Hospital (Hospital for Quartermaster's Department Employees)

military > hospital > general
Employees of the Quartermaster's Department were clearly considered under the care of the military, but not under the control of the military, according to the hospital entries in the Indexes. The chronology is confused. The records indicated that a hospital was in place by September 9, 1862 and existed until at least February of 1864, because letters exist with these dates. The hospital had various locations, and may have been just an umbrella term for the Department's employees when they were being treated in the St. Aloysius General Hospital. The "official" hospital for Quartermaster Department employees opened about Nov. 1, 1863, in the barracks of St. Aloysius General Hospital, which had closed.


  • "Washington and Georgetown, D.C.," Indexes to Field Records of Hospitals, 1821-1912, Manuscript Record Group 94, National Archives. View source information