Title: Lowery, J. S.
Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. (1861-65.), Part 3, Volume 2 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1883), 180-181.
Civil War Washington ID: med.d2e8101
CASE 367.—Lieutenant J. S. Lowery, Co. D, 146th New York, aged 21 years, was wounded at Bethesda Church, June 3, 1864. Surgeon W. E. DeWitt, jr., U. S. V., recorded his admission to a Fifth Corps field hospital, with a "severe wound of the right thigh caused by a minié ball." Surgeon D. W. Bliss, U. S. V., reported that the patient entered Armory Square Hospital, Washington, June 7th, and described his injury as a "shot fracture of the upper third of the femur," but gave no account of any treatment but that of simple dressings. Dr. T. M. Flandrau, late Surgeon 146th New York, who attended Lieutenant Lowery at the field hospital, gives the following details: The patient was wounded by a rifle ball while on picket duty. The missile entered at the middle of the thigh, toward its inner aspect, and was cut out on the field by Assistant Surgeon G. H. Fossard, 146th New York, above the trochanter. The femur was fractured in its upper third. The patient was brought six miles on a stretcher to the field hospital of the 2d division, Fifth Corps, where I determined not to amputate, and supported the limb on folded blankets, so that it was very comfortable. He was then carried by some men belonging to the Quartermaster's Department fifteen miles further to the White House, and placed on a steamboat and sent to Washington. He was left on his stretcher while on board of the transport and was not removed from it until placed on a bed in Armory Square Hospital, four days after receiving the injury. At the latter place, Acting Assistant Surgeon T. O. Bannister had immediate charge of the case. According to the patient's statement the limb was placed in a box, little extension being used and no counter-extension. Three or four small pieces of bone were discharged within a short time, and another small piece was cut since from under the skin. An abscess was opened on, the outer side of the thigh, the scar of which is conspicuous in the photograph. When the patient left the hospital he used crutches, the wound having closed in four or five weeks and the bone united firmly. He continued to use his crutches until the following April. The limb is shortened two and five-eighths inches; the thigh cannot be fully flexed on the pelvis, but the limb is strong, sound, and freely movable, with the afore-mentioned exception. When wearing a boot slightly thickened in the sole he limps but little. Lately he has walked six miles without difficulty, and is actively engaged in business." In a previous communication Dr. Flandrau stated that the very expeditious recovery of the patient was, no doubt, to be attributed in a large measure to his good fortune of having unusually comfortable transportation. Lieutenant Lowery became a pensioner from the date of his discharge from service, January 13, 1865. Various surgeons have examined him at regular intervals, and certified to lameness, etc., as resulting from the injury, up to April, 1872, since when he has been exempted from further examinations, owing to the permanent character of his disabilities. He was paid June 4, 1879. A photograph of the patient was prepared under the direction of Dr. Flandrau, who contributed it to the Army Medical Museum. It is numbered 265 of the Surgical Photographic Series.