Title: Barnes, C. W.
Source text: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. (1861-65.), Part 3, Volume 2 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1883), 665.
Civil War Washington ID: med.d2e25012
CASE 997.—Amputation in the thigh.—Private C. W. Barnes, Co. I, 95th New York, aged 23 years, was admitted to Mower Hospital, Philadelphia, May 6, 1863, suffering from osteo-cephalomatous tumor of the right tibia. Surgeon J. Hopkinson, U. S. V., reported: "The history of this patient's case is as follows: While he was assisting in building a wharf at Aquia Creek, about June 20, 1862, he fell and bruised himself over the spine of the right tibia. He was soon able to resume duty, but in about ten days after the accident he noticed a small lump growing on his leg. This gave him no annoyance and he remained with his regiment until the battle of Bull Run, August 29, 1862, when he was taken prisoner. He remained in captivity until the following December, when he was paroled, sent to Annapolis, and thence back to his command. He now continued to perform the duties of a soldier until February 20, 1863, when he was again excused on account of the swelling, and one month later he was sent to Douglas Hospital, whence he was transferred here. The tumor in the mean time had gradually grown larger, attaining the size of a goose egg by July 29th, when it was decided to remove it, which was accordingly done by Assistant Surgeon C. R. Greenleaf, U. S. A. In a few days, however, it began to reappear in the wound, and large portions of it were removed on August 20th by the same operator, after which it was not long before it again showed signs of returning, and amputation was decided upon. The limb was taken off, after gaining the patient's consent, on October 17th, at the lower third of the thigh, by Acting Assistant Surgeon J. H. Jamar. But little hæmorrhage attended the operation, which was performed by the antero-posterior flap method, four ligatures being applied. Chloroform constituted the anaesthetic and the patient reacted promptly. The wound united by first intention, and by November 8th the stump had almost entirely healed, there being no indication of reappearance of any tumor. The tumor, when removed, had been examined by Dr. J. M. Da Costa, of Philadelphia, and pronounced to be undoubtedly carcinomatous." The patient was subsequently transferred to Haddington Hospital, where he was supplied with a "Palmer" artificial limb. He was ultimately discharged from service, at Broad Street Hospital, December 16. 1864, and pensioned. A wet preparation of the shaft of the tibia of the amputated limb, exhibiting the tumor at the upper third of the bone, was contributed to the Museum by the operator, and constitutes specimen 2779 of the Surgical Section. The pensioner was inspected on February 1, 1882, by Examining Surgeon O. Warner, of Paterson, New Jersey, who reported that he found the "stump small, shrunken, painful, tender, and sore on the end, so that it is impossible for an artificial limb to be worn with any comfort or benefit."